Monday, June 21, 2010

Golfing!

White House spokesman Bill Burton on Monday said the president deserves some time to relax, and he doesn't “think that there's a person in this country that doesn't think that their president ought to have a little time to clear his mind.”

Not to be all populist, but has Bill Burton ever interacted with someone who didn't own any lien-free real estate (waiters and the guys who pump his gas don't count)?

I think a substantial number of people in the country think, "I sure would like to go golf to clear my mind. ... Well, fishing* anyway. But if I don't show up at work tomorrow my ass is fired."

But you can't fire a president. In fact, electing a president is tantamount to saying, "Alright then, you've got the job. You've got four years to do what you want, and after that is your performance review. Oh, and in practice you won't get fired unless you do something illegal. And get caught. And people care."

(* Not to bash golf. Golf is a sport, and anyone who doesn't think it is has never golfed. And if you think golf is easy or non-strenuous, here's my advice: Go to a driving range. Get a bucket of 20-40 balls. Hit them all. Tell me how you feel when you're done.)

No comments: