Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fat Humans, Future Threats, and Pixar!



I wonder how long this video will last - these things get periodically removed. But, while I never saw Wall-E, I remember catching a glimpse of this scene, somewhere. It came to mind, so I went to have a look for it on youtube. Sure enough...

So sayeth the uploader: I'm uploading this video to make a point about the dangers for human kind, if we become addicted and cover all our needs, through the internet. This started from a discussion, about e-learning in my university class, and how education would lose it's very important role to socialize people, but it's also a lesson for human kind.

I'm not sure which to find more distasteful: The fictional future where some omnipresent corporation/government tends to humanity's every need (and, not coincidentally, effectively decides what those every needs are on behalf of humanity - how nice of them), or the apparently real present where "educators" so desperately wish to inform us what lessons all of humanity must learn. Such as how the role of education is to socialize people. You know, just one more of those lessons the blessed have to teach all of humanity.

I wonder if it crossed their mind that what they see in Wall-E may not be the failure for people to allow themselves to be socialized and educated by their betters, but - even possibly - the ultimate culmination of such well-meaning interventions. Look at the society in that clip. So high tech! So egalitarian! Everyone is wired! Their every need taken care of! Government at its best and most efficient! And, dare I say it... Properly Socialized!

Anyway, I doubt Wall-E intended such commentary in either direction. All in good fun.

4 comments:

Ilíon said...

Yes, that "education as socialization" mindset is a huge part of the problem the person decries.

Crude said...

The internet has its downsides, but for education (in the actual sense of the damn word) it's been a boon, an autodidact's utopia. And therein may lie the problem.

You'd think the inability of educators to get the "educating" part right would discourage more from branching off into socialization. It's as if education isn't the primary concern for many educators. Fancy that.

Ilíon said...

I would say that education is not the primary concern of *anyone* who calls himself an 'educator.' Or, to be less absolute about it, of vanishingly few.

So, of course, the 'educators' can't seem to get the education part right.

And you make an excellent point that the internet has been a tremendous boon for those who wish to seek knowledge and wisdom.

Crude said...

Well, I should qualify my comments somewhat. It's a tremendous boon, but also rife with disinformation - just look at what goes on at wikipedia. A mixed blessing and all that. And yes, I know I'm pointing out the obvious here.

Then again, you can have that exact same problems with a university or a library too, so...