Thursday, October 28, 2010

What Problem of Evil?

Been seeing some philosophers discussing the problem of evil and theodicy lately. My response is "eh". I admit, the problem of evil hasn't struck me as a real problem for years - especially since the objection has, by even most atheist accounts, switched from a logical to an evidential problem.

I realize that the PoE is thought of as one of the two main, actual problems for the theistic position. I think that says far more about the emptiness of atheism than anything else. And it's actually one reason I have some qualified respect for the Intelligent Design guys - since most of them will flatly say, "We're merely defending design, not saying anything about the designer - theodicy is another field. If malaria looks like it was designed, then sorry, design is inferred."

Which leads me to a comment I made in Feser's thread: What I find funny about 'evil god' arguments is that they strike me as more plausible than atheism. Vastly less plausible than classical theism or theism generally, but yeah - the case for Cthulhu or Ares is actually better, by my estimation, than for atheism.

Flying spaghetti monster, indeed.

2 comments:

IlĂ­on said...

"What I find funny about 'evil god' arguments is that they strike me as more plausible than atheism. Vastly less plausible than classical theism or theism generally, but yeah - the case for Cthulhu or Ares is actually better, by my estimation, than for atheism."

So long as one doesn't analyze the issues carefully enough to realize that “case for Cthulhu or Ares” actually collapses into atheism.

Crude said...

I don't see that. I think we had a conversation about this at one point, but it didn't continue. But by all means feel free to explain what you mean.