Sunday, March 20, 2011

Augustine on Babies

It can hardly be right for a child, even at that age, to cry for everything, including things which would harm him; to work himself into a tantrum against people older than himself and not required to obey him; and to try his best to strike and hurt others who know better than he does, including his own parents, when they do not give in to him and refuse to pander to whims which would only do him harm. This shows that, if babies are innocent, it is not for lack of will to do harm, but for lack of strength.

I have to admit, that's quite an interesting way to frame the (at that age) human condition.

4 comments:

Codgitator (Cadgertator) said...

Oh yeah, he's also got an alarmingly colorful depiction of a milk-craving infant in *Confessions*. Is that where this quotation came from?

Crude said...

I believe so - I think I came across this from Darwin Catholic's blog. (I think that was the name.)

cl said...

I've actually been thinking about this quite a bit since I became a father. It's as if I can literally see the sin nature at work, juxtaposed right next to the glory of God in the same creature. Heady stuff.

IlĂ­on said...

Children are monsters ... there isn't a one that if it could would not murder its parents or caregivers when they frustrate it.