Friday, December 13, 2013

The Explanation of Fundamental Forces

I'm surprised that explanations of the fundamental forces of physics don't come up far more often in theological discussions. I can appreciate why many of the typical points of focus are common - consciousness, the origin of the universe, etc - but for my money, the fundamental forces seem like an intuitively simple concept to grasp, and the mystery surrounding them close to self-evident.

A fun way to sum up the advance of modern science is to point out that, once upon a time, primitives believed that multitudes of unseen beings were responsible for all manner of natural events. But we, the educated modern masses, know better. We don't need an army of minor ghosts and spooks to explain just about anything we've encountered in nature. We just need four really powerful ones.

6 comments:

Mr. Green said...

If I haven't mentioned it before, I really appreciate the knack you have for approaching these topics in simple, common-sensical way. As an aside, I am reminded of the old idea of angels driving the heavens, and wonder if something like that might not be the case after all, only in terms of forces or the like instead of the supposed perfect spheres.

Crude said...

Mr. Green,

That's one of the highest compliments I've been paid, in part because it's precisely what I aim for many times. Thanks.

Four powerful but very busy angels. I like that.

Jayman said...

You might be interested in reading ch. 1 of Redeeming Science by Vern Poythress. It is freely available: http://www.frame-poythress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/PoythressVernRedeemingScience.pdf

Crude said...

Jayman,

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.

Scintimandrion said...

I don't think the issue is the number of ghosts and spooks. I think it's whether they have will and purpose. Our ghosts and spooks are mindless entities that just do the same thing over and over again.

Crude said...

I don't think the issue is the number of ghosts and spooks. I think it's whether they have will and purpose. Our ghosts and spooks are mindless entities that just do the same thing over and over again.

Great observation. One problem.

How is the presence of mind, will, intention or purpose tested in the fundamental forces?