Friday, April 17, 2015

Disintegrating Atheism

One reason I talk about New Atheists less lately is that Shadow to Light tends to do it vastly better than I do. Really, the guy keeps up to date on the latest Cultist of Gnu bullshit, he has powerful insights, and he's pretty merciless. He's also linked on my sidebar, and I encourage keeping tabs on him if you're into repeated takedowns of the Cultists.

Apparently the hot Gnu issue lately is Richard Carrier came out of the closet as a handjob with poor impulse control. Oh, I'm sorry - he's 'polyamorous', a sexual orientation, which means that if you criticize him for his behavior at all you're horrible and mean and deserve to be ashamed of yourself, you backwards thinker.

Which brings me to my other point: as near as I can tell, the New Atheists have pretty well imploded. I know they still are popular in a subculture way, a bit like how Ayn Rand still has her devotees - but really, most people I run into, non-believers included, seem pretty inclined to admit that Dawkins and company are just a pack of annoying, self-righteous jackoffs. This is before noting the Atheism+ schism (that didn't take long, did it) which regards the most visible New Atheist leaders with utter contempt. Granted, they're cut from a toxic mix of SJW politics and pseudo-atheism so foul that it's almost enough to make someone feel sympathy for Team Gnu, but really, I just find the whole thing pretty funny.

That's not to say I don't think there are serious threats posed to not just religious people, but free thinking in general - but I think the threat comes from Team SJW, not Team Gnu. In fact, Team Gnu seems destined for whatever re-education camp equivalents there are on the horizon in the West, highlighting the greatest unspoken fear of western philosophy - that God not only exists, but He has a sense of humor.

2 comments:

Jakeithus said...

The Gnus always hoped that the West would accept SCIENCE!!!TM as its god (and themselves by extension as the new high priests). I wonder how much of a surprise to them it's been that people would rather bow down and worship the popular mix of tolerant, non-judgemental, self-actualization at any cost hedonism that really couldn't care any less for truth or science, progressivism that is a god to most liberals and SJWs. The more this god gains power, the more I see a subset of traditional atheists become disgusted at the complete shutting off of ones brain that is required to accept the premises of our new social religion.

Crude said...

The more this god gains power, the more I see a subset of traditional atheists become disgusted at the complete shutting off of ones brain that is required to accept the premises of our new social religion.

I imagine it's leading to further schisms in what passes for the atheist community. Atheists rejecting the Cult of Gnu was taking place way before Atheism+ arrived on the scene, but now we're entering a new, even crazier phase.

Vox often talks about how the people eager to eradicate Christianity's cultural influence probably won't like what's going to fill the void. Judging by what's happening now, that seems likely.