Thursday, November 19, 2015

Speaking of schadenfreude, how about the university protests?

Meanwhile, at Missouri U, a professor negotiates with a community leader.
A while back over on What's Wrong With the World, I made my views on universities clear: burn them all to the ground. Academia is a hellhole, and while there are some bright spots - Professor Feser, and others - they are few and far between, and can probably survive the destruction of these campuses.

At the time, there was pushback. Basically in the form of 'No, we have to retake them, they are important centers of learning!' and 'What about good ol' Aquinas U?' I was unmoved. As Black Lives Matters continues to claim scalps across academia - liberal scalps, by the way, because God has a sense of humor - I wonder if any of my opponents have been rethinking their stance on the matter.

I don't know about everyone else, but my plan seems easier than ever to accomplish. All you have to do is start announcing budget cuts at state universities. You think these places are going up in flames now? See what happens when the money's tighter. It's one thing to emasculate the liberal white male professors - that they cut and run in the face of Team SJW is a given.

But watch the fireworks when the Women's Studies department has to compete with the African American Studies departments to see who's taking a pay cut. Better yet? Make them all share the same unisex bathroom.

I guess I have changed my position. It's not enough to burn these places to the ground anymore. Now I want to do it in the funniest way possible.

2 comments:

Mr. Green said...

Academia is a hellhole, and while there are some bright spots - Professor Feser, and others - they are few and far between, and can probably survive the destruction of these campuses.

I love the idea of hallowed halls of higher learning, but I can't muster any enthusiasm for modern universities. (Did I say "but"? I meant "therefore".) Thanks to the Internet, not only are all the great works available to everyone, but so are friendly and knowledgeable people who will help you understand them. (Let's face it: Feser's website is basically a free philosophy program.) As for the practical side, universities weren't supposed to have one; for job training, something more like the old apprenticeship system would be more useful.

In fact, the only downside would be that I suspect universities really aren't that much of the problem. Isn't the damage already done in primary school? (If it wasn't, how many people would fall for the nonsense in universtities anyway?) We give them the child for the first seven years, and they give us the man[to use the term loosely]. Not to mention TV, which I never tire of blaming, since we give it our children unconditionally before age seven and after. So burning down the universities couldn't hurt, but I am pessimistic about how much it would help.

It's not enough to burn these places to the ground anymore. Now I want to do it in the funniest way possible.

Ha. I suggest getting them to film the whole thing and air it, on the pretext of raising extra cash by selling it as a reality-show.

Crude said...

Thanks to the Internet, not only are all the great works available to everyone, but so are friendly and knowledgeable people who will help you understand them. (Let's face it: Feser's website is basically a free philosophy program.)

Exactly. And it goes way beyond philosophy. Universities are literally obsolete in large part; we don't need these structures, and they're now infested with intellectual monsters.

Burn 'em down.

In fact, the only downside would be that I suspect universities really aren't that much of the problem. Isn't the damage already done in primary school? (If it wasn't, how many people would fall for the nonsense in universtities anyway?)

I'm not exactly thrilled with the school systems either, though I think primary school influence is mitigated in part. 'Teacher' doesn't have as much intellectual authority as 'professor', and it's also far closer to parents, who even nowadays will often fight a bit.

TV and media, yes, is a problem. Problems abound. But I think it would help a lot, because the recognition that they are not necessary would do wonders for the average mind.

Ha. I suggest getting them to film the whole thing and air it, on the pretext of raising extra cash by selling it as a reality-show.

I'd actually watch that one.