Monday, November 30, 2015

Speaking of Xenophobia...

It looks like it's pretty popular in Germany too.

I'm talking, of course, about the clergy who otherwise won't shut up about how important it is to flood Europe with as many 'refugees' as possible.

Sayeth the kind-hearted liberal clergy about Africa:
Of course the Church is growing there. It grows because the people are socially dependent and often have nothing else but their faith. It grows because the educational situation there is on average at a rather low level and the people accept simple answers to difficult questions(of faith) [sic]. Answers like those that Cardinal Sarah of Guinea provides. And even the growing number of priests is a result not only of missionary power but also a result of the fact that the priesthood is one of the few possibilities for social security on the dark continent.
Channeling Chris Rock, I suppose Cardinal Kasper would insist that while he loves black people, he just can't stand niggers.

Speaking as an educated child of the west, protective of my culture and my ways - and awash in sin besides - let me take it upon myself to put a good word in, not just for Cardinal Sarah, but for the Church in Africa: maybe we're not as smart as we think we are, and maybe the Africans have recovered some of the clarity we used to be blessed with. Maybe when they disagree with us, they have reasons for doing so. Last I checked, Cardinal Sarah offered reasons for his views - damn good ones. The educated Cardinal Kasper mostly offered up hot air, deception and misdirection.

Let Cardinal Kasper ask me who I think the more intelligent person is between the two, and which of the two I think became a cleric because the alternative was bottom-feeding in his respective culture. The answer may surprise him.

So while I'm one post away from having sung the praises of a certain amount of xenophobia, let me make it clear: western civilization doesn't dominate in every category. While Africa has its own problems - putting it mildly - we have plenty of our own, and believing we're so goddamn smart is one of them. Maybe not every topic is as complicated as we like to pretend it is - maybe we're having trouble figuring out simple problems that other people can understand and solve with ease.

2 comments:

B. Prokop said...

I've read Cardinal Sarah's God or Nothing and found it to be one of the most profoundly moving and downright brilliant books I've read in quite some time. If this is the future of the Catholic Church (and it looks like it is), then we are in Good Hands indeed!

Crude said...

I further wonder if the good German cardinals would find the abundant conversions to Islam as similarly motivated.

No, of course not. Who could embrace the Religion of Peace without God's love drawing them closer?