Thursday, May 26, 2016

The happiest election in memory

Has anyone else noticed - right-wingers, I'm talking to you in particular - just how happy this election is compared to others?

Remember when McCain was the nominee? I do. Man, that sucked. We had to pretend to be enthusiastic for the asshole 'maverick' and pretend he wasn't some kind of habitual left-wing sellout with a hawk tendency that made W look isolationist. Sure, we got Palin out of it - entertaining and surprisingly prescient, if not exactly leadership material - but that was an accident at best. And of course the media-darling became media-reviled (to his shock) and went down in flames to a closet muslim. (Just kidding, everyone knows he's an anti-Christian atheist.)

Then Romney. Now, I liked Romney. I think I framed him ass 'an unreliable sellout, but hey, he seems like a decent enough guy, and maybe his being mormon means something', which is more than most. I thought he was unfairly hammered, but largely insofar as he was clearly a big government left-wing trojan horse. For God's sake he was the architect of state-level Obamacare, and they decided to run him when Obamacare was supposed to be reviled? But right-wingers looked at Obama, sucked it up and said 'ya gotta do what ya gotta do'.

The point is, wow. Those were two shit sandwiches, weren't they? Hell, if you dig further, the presidency of W was two servings of a shit sandwich. Meandering yokel of a leader who, while clearly not legitimately retarded, was still a jackass who single-handedly shat all over the GOP's respectability. It used to be everyone pretended that wasn't the case out of feigned party loyalty, but that's gone now. The point is, these were miserable times. We never got excited for these guys, except at the start, and then out of desperation.

But now?

I know some of you disagree. And most of you, I respect. But the fact is, even when he was polling 15 points under Clinton... I've been having the time of my political life.

This is how it should be. No listening to some absolute fake of a leader insisting that of COURSE we Republicans don't want to deport illegal immigrants, that is so heartless. No meekly bowing our heads when lectured about some idiotic racism claims from someone whose ancestors probably had more cotton baled on their behalf than any of us. In a world where would-be SJW jackboots exists, we have a guy willing to call one of the biggest fakes in politics 'Fauxcahontas' and blow off journalists who huff that that's so offensive. We've got a guy who makes us cheer because of what he says and the stances he takes, a guy who fights fights that we actually want to have.

Notice, by the way, that this pleasure has been in the air even when he was polling 15 points down against the supposed Sure Thing that is Hillary Clinton. He was going to lose? We'll see. And also, who gives a shit? We've got a champion -now-. We can enjoy this immediately, we're not totally banking on hopes that this works out in six months. We're not holding our noses

I like this. I like how this feels. I want it to remain. I'd like to win, yes, but I'd rather feel like this and get charged up to fight and support a fighter than spend one more goddamn month pretending some cuck from the Bush clan is someone I just can't wait to vote for. I'll take this and a gamble than a sure thing with a Paul Ryan or a Romney III, over and over again.

3 comments:

rOnIn said...

I'm not sure about the happiest election in memory as far as I can tell, because to me Ron Paul was it. Ron Paul took it to the whole Republican establishment and not just in some reality show sort of way, but in how to really fix our issues sort of way; which ironically, Trumps seems to embrace some of Paul's foreign policy, but with less intellectual acumen. While I would bet on Trump rather than Hillary this election year; I'm still skeptical of what he is promising.

Crude said...

For me, Ron Paul doesn't have as much push primarily because Paul was fringe, and therefore his campaign was necessarily internal to the GOP. Trump is nationwide. He's not merely opposing GOP standard fare, but cultural standard fare.

I will gladly lose 20 years of elections to win 20 years of culture war battles, or even half of them. Because at the end of those 20 years, we'll still have a nation, or a remnant of it, worth fighting for. Give us 20 years of Bush or the Bush-like and we'd better hope some state seceded or another country is rising.

rOnIn said...

For me, Ron Paul doesn't have as much push primarily because Paul was fringe, and therefore his campaign was necessarily internal to the GOP. Trump is nationwide. He's not merely opposing GOP standard fare, but cultural standard fare.

No, it's more like voters are just plain stupid. Anyone who looked at or heard Paul's proposed policies should be able to come to a conclusion that his plan would have benefited the USA.

I will gladly lose 20 years of elections to win 20 years of culture war battles, or even half of them.

Okay, but it remains to be seen if that comes true because of Trump, and the USA middle class stops being raped.