Saturday, May 21, 2016

When NeverTrump went too far

Of all the mistakes that were made by Trump's opponents during this campaign, I think the biggest one was in embracing - down to the letter - the tactics of the regressives. Screaming that Michelle Fields was manhandled and abused by Trump's chief of staff, going on about how he's clearly afraid of 'strong women', repeatedly suggesting that anyone who supports him must be a misogynist racist who has a problem with women and minorities? Those moves are straight from not just the left-wing playbook, but the SJW playbook. Using them during an election where one of the overriding suspicions was 'our party is controlled by sellouts' wasn't desperate - it was suicidal.

Mike Flynn (who doesn't agree with anything I say as far as I know - just getting that out there) likes to use the phrase now and then that 'sometimes the mask slips.' But when someone decides to blatantly use SJW language, just as an SJW would use it, putting the mask back on becomes a lot more difficult. Ben Shapiro right now is pissing and moaning that he's considered, basically, an SJW quisling, despite engaging in what I regard as some downright brave and crucial culture war acts. What he doesn't seem to understand - or at least, what he doesn't want to accept - is that the moment he decided to use a page out of their book, he essentially endorsed a cultural narrative that SJW-hostile people despise. Shapiro seems to think that, well, he was just doing what he thought was right. But if that justifies what he did, then he shouldn't be surprised at his - putting it mildly - detractors. They're doing the same.

The Alt Right doesn't want to claim the SJW's methods and presumptions. They want to destroy those things altogether. Right wingers who use them shouldn't be surprised to find that in the eyes of the Alt Right, using those things amounts to a declaration of war.

6 comments:

moduspownens said...

Fair enough. But when the smoke clears after the election, it will be interesting to see if Shapiro atones for his mistake by re-engaging the majority of his efforts against SJWs and the real enemy. If he does, then he ought to be welcomed back into the fold.

Crude said...

I'm not sure what form a reconciliation like that would or could possibly take.

moduspownens said...

Nothing formal, but just a returning to business as usual, as in what it was like before the election.

Crude said...

I don't think it's possible, for reasons my latest post goes into in part. You seem to be treating this as if the problems and hostility we're seeing relates specifically to this election, and that once the election is over, all the reasons to fight will go away. That strikes me as wrong. I suspect that properly coping with the rise of Trump and the Alt Right is going to require some intellectual lines being redrawn, and there's no way to do that without making room at the table for some people once considered beyond the pale, and asking others to either concede or leave.

moduspownens said...

I was unclear in my second comment. My intent was specifically on Shapiro. I wasn't referring to the tumultuous state of affairs between factions on the Right or the state of conservatism. I agree in that intellectual lines need to be redrawn.

Crude said...

I'd like that, but I wonder. I think Shapiro showed a lot of bravery with what he's done on campuses. But I also think he's shown a willingness to completely throw all of that out of the window.

Let me quote Shapiro.

I will never vote for Donald Trump because I stand with certain principles. I stand with small government and free markets and religious freedom and personal responsibility. Donald Trump stands against all of these things. He stands for Planned Parenthood and trade restrictions and targeting of political enemies and an anti-morality foreign policy and government domination of religion and nastiness toward women and tacit appeals to racism and unbounded personal power. I stand with the Constitution of the United States, and its embedded protection of my God-given rights through governmental checks and balances. Donald Trump does not. I stand with conservatism. Donald Trump stands against it.

Trump is mean to women. He opposes free trade. He's not sufficiently globalist enough with foreign policy. He lets the government dominate religion (and I suspect what Shapiro means here is the ban on muslim non-citizens entering the US.) He raciss.

I think the disagreements Shapiro has with Trump and the alt right in general are unbridgeable. What happened with him? Who knows. He has a debate with Milo soon, we'll see what comes of that.